Goods Lifts-Types and working principals
Lift or elevators have become an essential part of every commercial and residential building. With the development of science in mechanical fields, lifts are also modified for different purposes. Now lifts are not only used for carrying people but several lifts are made to carry goods and loads which have contributed to a large extent in the commercial fields. Goods lifts and elevators make life easier for the aged and especially handicapped people.
An elevator or lift is an electric lifting system. It is generally used for vertical transportation of people and goods in multi-storeyed buildings. Elevators are modified or designed on the basis of their requirements. Goods lifts are widely used in commercial industries such as agriculture, fishing, construction sites, oil and refinery, etc.
The working concept of goods lifts or elevators:
The working idea of goods lifts or elevators is based on the pulley system. In the same way, a metalled rope is attached to the top of the metal box, this box is used to carry goods or people. The ropes are attached to the wheel which holds the metal rope tightly in the engine room. With the help of this pulley system the metal box lifts and carries people and goods. The elevator can be modified with different elevator parts that comprise of safety device, doors which can be manual, automatic, electric motor, speed controlling system, rails, cabin, etc.
Multiple types of goods lifts or elevators:
On the basis of utility goods, lifts can be classified into a pneumatic lift, passenger lift, hydraulic elevator, freight lift, cable-driven elevators, etc. Some are mentioned in detail below:
- Pneumatic elevator: These types of elevators are designed with clear crystal self-supported cylinders. It has steel material on the top that ensures air-tight shutting. The top cylinder surface has turbines, valves and controllers on the head unit which controls the movements of lifts. They are used in residential properties and the advantage of using such lifts includes safety, flexibility, speed, solid design with a smooth appearance.
- Capsule lifts: Capsule lifts or elevators are beautifully designed and enhance the outlook of a building. The lifts are very comfortable and good-looking. These lifts are made from transparent glass which can be viewed both inside and outside. They are easy to maintain as well.
- Cable-driven elevator: Cable-driven or the traction elevator is the most commonly used elevator. It has a sarong metalled rope which is tied around the pulley inside the motor engine. There are several wires or cables connected at the surface of the elevator. The other side of the lift is attached to the counterweight that helps in lifting up and down.
- Hydraulic elevator: These types of elevators are controlled by a piston that moves perpendicularly inside a cylinder. This movement is carried out by pushing hydraulic oil inside the cylinder. These lifts are ideal for up to six storied buildings. They are equipped with solid starters which are helpful in the power supply of motors and buildings. There are four types of hydraulic elevators that are roped or holed elevators.
- Freight lifts: Freight lifts are extensively used in commercial as well as industrial fields. They are very useful in transporting material or goods in warehouses, shopping malls, fishing, oil mining industries, etc. They are specially designed by engineers for carrying heavy loads at a time. It can carry a load of 2500 lbs to 10000 lbs and can reach up to a height of 50 feet.
Thus, we can find that based on the requirements, different commercial places and warehouses goes for different goods lifts. It helps in avoiding manual labor in carrying goods and saves manpower cost, effort and time as well.