When it comes to safety, you can never be too cautious. However, you must definitively schedule a safety check for the electrical parts of your home if your home is more than ten years old. You must follow it with uniform examinations every 3 to 5 years, depending on the age of your property. As a rule, the older the building, the more frequent the checks must be. So, if your property is more than 40 years old, you must get an electrical safety check every six months.
Other than the age of the infrastructure you must also look for signs of damage. These signs include:
- Burning smell
- Malfunction with the sockets
- Changing intensities of lights
Also, if you have shifted to a new house or bought new office space, you must schedule an examination. Moreover, you must do it if you have renovated your existing place. It is because, after renovations, a lot of wires can be changed and there could be some safety issues.
What Will the Electricity Safety Check Tell You?
Old house wirings that need a change or replacement, moreover, it will also tell you if any of your appliances are overloaded. It is important because overloading can damage your gadgets. But that is the least of security concerns.
An overloaded circuit will trip the breaker and stop the supply of electricity to your home. But this will happen only if a breaker is present. In the absence of it, an overloaded circuit can start a fire hazard.
An electrical safety check will also bring forth the requirement for any earthing. In this way, it will prevent potential shocks.
How Long Does It Take?
The amount of time it takes depends largely on the size of your building. It also depends on how many issues are found and need to be fixed. In addition, the time will decrease if the wiring of your home is decent. However, on average, the would take anywhere between two to four hours.
Home Electrical Safety Check
To ensure the safety of your home, you must also take some “do it yourself” measures. You can perform this every month or when the need arises.
- Ensure that plugs fit right into the sockets. A plug that does not sit correctly may seem like a minor issue. But it is not. It can cause sparks and loss of electricity. In some cases, it can also lead to a fire.
- Confirm that the switches are not discolored. It may indicate damage to the switch.
- It is essential to customize the extension cords as per the requirements and utilization of power. Or else the point that extension cords are not permanent cannot be emphasized enough. Also, do not utilize them for high-power-consuming appliances like heaters. Hiring an expert for the electrical safety check can help in better maintenance of the electrical lines.
- Clean your appliances regularly. Do not place any inflammable items such as
clothes near heaters. In addition, make sure that there are no live wires. All wires must be insulated.
- Additionally, label your circuits and keep a record of when you last scheduled an electrical safety check. It will ensure that you never miss a check when required.
Thus, the nature and frequency of electrical safety checks depend on the kind of property you have. Nonetheless, they are vital. You must also keep track of the warning signs and take safety measures at home. Remember that these safety checks are saving your money in the long run. Prevention is not only better but also costing a whole lot less than repair.